Friday, December 9, 2011

Babies are Funny People

I know... every post is about Isaac.  But really... nothing else goes on in our lives!  The most I've gone outside since Sunday was to get the mail yesterday.  Other than than Isaac and I have been holed up in our mostly warm apartment (it gets a little chilly sometimes, but then I just whip out our handy dandy space heater and get us nice and toasty warm).  Tonight though... we're breaking out of here and going to dinner with the other officers and their significant others!  I'll probably have to change out of sweats and actually do my hair for that (oh the joys of not leaving the house).

Since Isaac turned a month old on Saturday I've been thinking about how much he's learned in this last month.  Besides the basics (eating, breathing, etc), he's learned how to smile (I have yet to get this on a real camera... just my phone) and he's starting to babble.  I love having little conversations with him about what's going on that day!  Our favorite place to have these conversations?  A wonderful place that I have affectionately named "Our Favorite Spot" (I know... I'm super original)... aka his changing table.  I don't know what it is about his changing table, but it works almost as well for getting him to stop fussing as the hair dryer does.  He can spend 10-15 minutes just laying there and looking around!  He can see his favorite curtains, the book shelves, his crib, everything in his room.  He just loves it!  Ironically though, he doesn't like getting his diaper changed or his clothes changed... he starts fussing as soon as we do either of those things.  As long as I just leave him alone he looks a bit like this:


There's usually a lot of arm waving, leg kicking, and cooing as he stares intently at whatever fabulous object has caught his interest.

Isaac has also grown a ton in this month!  I weighed myself with him the other day and if my scale's correct then he's around 11 pounds now!  And he's getting the most adorable chubby thighs!  And his hands are starting to get a little chubby! And don't even get me started on his double chin and neck rolls!!  *sigh*  Needless to say I spend lots of time kissing this little guy!  He's just so kissable!

Andy and I have also learned a lot this last month.  Andy went from never changing a diaper in his life to becoming a pro at it!  This last week he's also become Isaac's midnight nap partner.  When Isaac wakes up right after I've fed him Andy's the one who will go hold him and get him to sleep (it usually involves the two of them sleeping on the couch for a couple hours). 

For me, the biggest thing I've learned is contentment.  I've spent most of my life thinking "I can't wait until ____________" with the blank being filled with going to college, graduating, getting married, having a baby, etc.  For the first time in my life I'm not wishing for time to speed up.  I'm enjoying every second of being with Isaac just the way he is!  Even days like yesterday where he would not let me put him down for more than 2 minutes I loved just getting to cuddle with him all day.  Sure, there are other stages of his life that I'm excited about (him sitting, him moving, him consistently making eye contact with me), but I'm perfectly happy with where I am right now.  I think it helps that I know that this is the only time I'll have the chance to spend 100% of my time just loving my new baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment